Saturday, January 19, 2013

Casserole and a Mystery Knit.

Howdy, and how is your Saturday? I have a touch of a sneeze, but besides being stuffy this has been a wonderfully relaxing day. I gave myself a facial and gave the littlest native a facial because he wanted to be a swamp monster like me. He actually didn't like it and wiped it off minutes later. 

I wanted to keep the relax laid back theme so for dinner I whipped up a tuna casserole. This recipe is from my babysitter. She used to watch quite a few kids and would make batches of these and freeze them. Enter a rainy day and she would pull one out of the freezer and make it for lunch. It was everyone's favorite. Years later I sought her out and snagged the recipe. I've tweaked it slightly, but my kids will eat seconds, thirds, and left overs the next day. It's not healthy or fancy but it's a comfort food and reminds me of Bonnie nearly every time I make it.

Tuna Casserole:

6-8 cups cooked rice (I've used brown, white, and minute...they all work!)
1 can of tuna
1 can of corn (whole kernel)
1 1/2 cans cream of mushroom
Shredded cheese (I use cheddar or Mexican blend)
Mix cooked rice and about 1/2 c. of shredded cheese. Add corn, tuna, cream of mushroom to rice. Mix well. Pour into a  13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35-45 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly (or if you are like me, slightly burned).

You could serve this with a a salad or (and my personal preference) a loaf of French bread with butter. Hey, I said it wasn't healthy or fancy. It is pretty dang delicious though!




Now, switching gears to needles, I have been OBSESSED with knitting. Just last week on Ravelry my knitting group, Year of Swatches started a mystery knit a long (KAL). I've never participated in one, so this is rather intriguing to me. I've knitted up the first clue and this is what I have...




One more thing before I jump off of here. I read The Lightening Thief in the Percy Jackson series after the littlest native suggested I read it. I'm always down to read what they are into. The book is NOTHING like the movie. It also happens to be BETTER than the movie. I suggest you read it with your 8-10 year olds!

Have a great weekend. (I'm currently watching Knocked Up in my bed. Contemplating a nap.)





2 comments: